[Air-l] Graduate programs?

Rob Furr rsfurr at curie.uncg.edu
Mon Mar 11 09:03:37 PST 2002

I've been pretty quiet on the list for a while - I've been trying to pick
up on what's acceptable and what's not, traffic-wise, but what with the the
recent Imminent Death Of AIR-L Predicted(*) threads, I figure this question
won't raise many hackles.

I'm currently working for a Dept. of Ed.-funded program - we're writing a
program intended to do laboratory-based physics education online without
need for a distance-learning-style Real Teacher on the other end - that'll
be wrapping up in, oh, a year and a half. I'm currently the interface
designer, industry researcher, features manager, chief bottle washer, and
relief pitcher for the program, and I've been up to my armpits in media
design issues for a long while now.  After the grant ends, I'm thinking of
going back, taking advantage of that experience, and getting a Ph.D. in
interactive media (or communications, focusing on interactive media, or new
media, or whatever. I'm not picky about the name used.) There're two
problems, though, each of which worries me somewhat:

1) I've got a MFA in film and video (concentration in computer animation,
essentially.) It seems that having a MFA is more likely to hurt me than
help me when it comes to applying for Ph.D. programs - I've already got a
terminal degree, for one thing, and I'm not as up on the research and
scholarship side of things for another. Is this correct? Is there anything
I can do that would help in this regard?

2) I'm looking around for programs that focus on interactive media from a
non-production standpoint - my current position is production enough for a
looong while, and I'd like to step back and think about the whys and wheres
and skip the hows for a bit. Anyone have any suggestions as to programs to
investigate?

---
Rob Furr
http://laaphysics.org/