[Air-l] 3 queries & thanks

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 11 17:44:49 PST 2002

Folks,

I want to thank the at least a dozen people who sent me great info about
diasporas and the Net today. I will summarize it when I get a chance,
which may not be till March, because of 2 deadlines.

The best story I heard was about the guy giving a Powerpoint talk at a
major US grad university that is wireless equipped, when his mother's
babytalk chat to her little son popped up in an Instant Messaging window
to the amusement of all.

As you may have gathered, I am pushing towards finishing a review piece.

I have a few other queries for info?
1. I'd appreciate leads into IM and SMS. Not just prevalence, and who is
doing it for what. Both adolescent and adult based. And special kinds of
speech communities.

2. Anything about teens' use of the Net to engage in community would also
be appreciated -- IM, email, chat, Usenet, etc.

3. I have heard that Internet phone is one of the most commonly used Net
things in the developing world. Is this true, and if it is, where is it
documented and analyzed.

As for diasporas, when I become post-deadline, I will digest this for AOIR
list, so no need to post your private messages to the list.

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman