[Air-l] rhetorical analysis on SCMC

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Wed Mar 13 09:04:00 PST 2002

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

Hi,

I know that I'm replying somehow late, but confronted with this problem in
my masters thesis (about a virtual party convention), I decided to
differentiate between not asynchronous and synchronous CMC, but between
different (social, normative) 'speeds' of CMC. So a not only technically,
but also socially asynchronous web page embedded discussion group is
slower than an e-mail conversation is slower than a fast chat, where
everybody is expecting you to answer the same minute. Or in other words:
ignoring the technical principal asynchronousness of CMC, there are more
synchron kinds of CMC and less synchron kinds. Together this leads to an
social agreed upon normal answer expectancy time, and to some kind of
shared attention focus or horizon.

Best regards,

Till Westermayer, M.A.

>As I'm sure others will note, there's a problem with the notion of
>synchronous CMC. All CMC systems have some kind of lag built into
>them. --Christian Nelson

>shufang wrote:

>> I'm going to do a literature review on synchronous CMC research
>> that takes a rhetorical or discourse analysis approach.

 __ .
 / / / /                            ... Till Westermayer - till we *)
. .
  . mailto:till at tillwe.de http://www.westermayer.de/till/index.htm
  . Habsburgerstr. 82 . 79104 Freiburg . 0761 55697152 . 0170 9554960
  . . . . .