[Air-l] Impact of Moderation

Ben Davidson bendavidson at totalise.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 16:43:49 PST 2002

And where a moderator is prepared to spend a significant amount of time boot
strapping discourse, was there any interesting data?

I'm interested as a group analyst.

Anecdotally, my experience suggests discourse is quashed when dominated by
the conductor, however helpful s/he tries to be.  And often, the helpfulness
belies intense maternal anxiety or an expression of narcissistic needs (or
both), either of which can be experienced as suffocating.  In these
circumstances, short discussions in very small sub-groups/pairs predominate,
usually pivoting on the leader.

I also have an idea that in these circumstances the person of the
leader/moderator comes to attract greater extremes of idealisation and
denigration from members (reflecting the schizoid splits that complement
this immersion in narcissism).  The person of the leader/moderator also
plays a significantly greater role in shaping the culture of the group (ie
to a much greater extent, the culture comes to reflect their person).

Ben