[Air-l] The Dire State of the AoIR List

David Neice neice at kw.igs.net
Thu Mar 7 07:34:54 PST 2002

Hi,

In the space of a year the AoIR list has gone from being mildly
interesting to being almost unreadable. I am not the only one who
is noticing the deterioration.

In the interests of communication I suggest we:

1) Learn to use our email options and preferences. If an Internet
researcher used the AoIR list as an unobtrusive indicator of the
'technical knowledge' of Internet researchers, their conclusions
would be dire.

2) Refrain from posting HTML, Word .doc (and other word
processor) files as well as MIME files. JUST PLAIN ASCII
PLEASE. ASCII file convertors are available for most word
processors. Also please check the options list re ASCII in your
email program.

3) Limit the recent trend towards posting 'brain farts',  personal
attacks, and comments intended for one other person. THIS IS A
PUBLIC INFORMATION LIST. Please email personal comments
one-to-one.

4) Actually think about what we post, and, in particular, assess
how useful will it be to a wide range of list members. Idiosyncratic
commentary and unedited streams of consciousness are pushing
the noise-to-signal ratio way up.

Cheers,
david neice
David C. Neice DPhil.
digital-literacy.com :-)
Website at http://www.kw.igs.net/~neice/
Address: 47 Combermere, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 5B2
Tel: 519-885-2951   Fax: 519-885-5263