[Air-l] My intervention in AoIR

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Mar 13 20:15:45 PST 2002

laclan,

it was not a warning.  if you received a warning from me for any action
involving systems I work with it would be very clear as to its intent
and  it would probably first arrive in writing via the mail, most likely
certified.   Below contrary to your intuition and portrayal is my
attempt to help you in some manner to further your project.

what I was suggesting in my message, and which you so thankfully ignored
is the insight that if you wish to act in a way that is intended to
bring about some critical moment or to attain whatever your goals may
be, that you try to do it in a manner that that minimally sustains your
project.  For instance, a flagrant misappropriation of a helpful e-mail,
which was offered to you personally, in most lists, would be considered
a horrible breach of list etiquette, yet in your project you clearly,
for no apparent reason, forgo such common understandings for a higher
purpose.  Which, as I say below, seems to me to undermine your project
and make it appear like it is being put forth by someone somewhat
unfamiliar with the ways lists and the communities around them work, in
other words a 'newbie'.  In most lists for such actions, you would be
dropped in a kill-file until you demonstrated merits to do otherwise,
but this is a list that entertains a plurality of voice and I think you
should have your voice and be able to try to achieve your purpose.  A
voice though, I'm sure you would agree, is only as powerful as those
listening.

I remember precisely your introduction and while I believe that you have
every intention of appropriate action.  I find it unconvincing that
while you could have such a solid background in matters relating to the
internet and culture that you cannot discern help from harm, nor proper
usage from improper.  A list, Lachlan, is meant for the list, and an
e-mail is meant to be e-mail.  If you wish to take this matter up
further feel free to talk to others, because unlike the list, I do have
a kill file in my e-mail and I have no problems using it.  If you want
removed from it, you know what to do.

complaints regarding messages on this list pursuant to this can be
logged to air-l-admin at aoir.org

people who would like advice as to how to set up a kill-file or similar
apparatus for their system can contact me in the usual ways.

>>> www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy