[Air-l] Re: Road Warriors -- anomie, etcetera

Wendy Robinson wgrobin at duke.edu
Fri May 31 09:27:16 PDT 2002

To be clear, I said that "those who have been influenced by Innis, McLuhan,
Beniger and Carey" -- which is a lot of people, most of us on the list, I
assume.  Those who have considered the effect of the telegraph and
distributed communication, pre-Internet.  Anomie as a condition of life on
the road and the virtual community and modern to postmodern communication
and the existential condition thereof.

The life of the contemporary, vagabond, technomadic scholar is one sort of
road warrior.  the Taliban with their cell phones and dish transmissions
are another, and quite literally warriors on the old silk road.  But
actually I don't know that I would privilege that term.  What interests me
in the thread is taking your work and gizmos with you wherever you go, the
fact that the logging in and out metaphors are losing their centrality and
that this changing paradigm is global.

We're better connected, yet more atomized.  Thus far, enthusiastic claims
aside, the Net has not brought about universal brotherhood and
understanding.  We communicate more, but perhaps listen less (very old
dystopic claims, again dating to the electric telegraph).  We have
conveniences that contribute to our business and social lives and that
enable the most recent iteration of the "road warrior" lifestyle, yet
they're also a pain in the neck.  It's more stuff to buy and keep up with,
encouraging greater corporate incursion, however nearly undeniably cool,
mobilizing, etcetera.