[Air-l] responses re: my Q about cellular phones & digital divide

Mete Yildiz myildiz at indiana.edu
Mon May 20 09:16:24 PDT 2002

Hi all,

These are the responses I got to my question regarding the use of mobile
phones for bridging the digital gap/ divide especially in developing
countries. Enjoy!

Special thanks go to Kursat Cagiltay, John Daly, Nalini Kotamraju and Ewa
Callahan.

Answer 1:
Volume 9 Number 2/April 01, 2002 of Journal of European Public Policy
EU regulatory strategy for mobile Internet
p. 273, by Johan Lembke
URL of article:
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?id=DA093VD0V4R2YAVQ

A2: I don't know how much has been written about it, but the number of
cellular phones has exploded in developing countries, and wireless
telephony seems to be a leap frog technology that is helping increase
connectivity rapidly. The Grameen Bank in India is an example of a
program that is promoting rural connectivity via cellular phones.

A3: A running bibliography I have on mobile phones
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~nalinik/mobile.html

A4: During the CHI2002, there was an intitiative to start SIG on
cross-cultural issues and mobile devices, which I would assume includes
the phones. The person who started the initiative is Aaron Marcus.

Some news articles:

1. http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=954329
Mobile telephones: From cell-phones to self-phones
Jan 24th 2002, From The Economist print edition

2. Banning pre-paid mobile phones
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1777000/1777516.stm

3. Cordless e-mail phones to hit Europe
Panasonic, Philips and Siemens say they plan to launch cordless landline
phones across Europe that can send and receive e-mail.
Source: http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=10061

Cheers,

Mete

Mete Yildiz
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Indiana University, Bloomington