[Air-l] CFP: American Communication Association's 8th Annual Convention

Frobish, Todd TFrobish at iona.edu
Sat May 25 10:42:45 PDT 2002

ACA 2002 Convention: Call for Papers

The American Communication Association invites you to its Eighth Annual Convention in Washington DC, September 26-29, 2002.

Conference Theme:
Resurrecting the Generalist:
Interdisciplinarianism and the Return of the Classical Scholar

Description: New communication technologies facilitate relationships across disciplinary boundaries. Interdisciplinary studies have been given a new voice as communication scholars everywhere are beginning to open doors to areas once thought beyond the scope of what we do. ACA 2002 invites us to reflect upon the relevance of disciplinary boundaries and to consider how the expanding breadth of the communication field can present new opportunities for research.

Submissions: Special attention will be given to papers/proposals that address the convention theme, but work in any topic area is invited. In addition to completed papers, we welcome proposals for salons. In salons, two to four scholars present a question or concept for group discussion. For salons, topics should be submitted for consideration in the form of an abstract from each participant. ACA welcomes a diversity of perspectives and methodologies, and encourages graduate student submissions. Papers and salon proposals are due to the convention planner by June 15th, 2002. Only submissions sent through e-mail attachment to tfrobish at iona.edu will be accepted. Complete e-mail addresses of all participants and any technology requests must accompany submissions.

Convention Format and Activities: Located at the Georgetown University Conference Center in Washington DC, and centered within the heart and spirit of our democracy, our 2002 conference is sure to be invigorating. A hallmark of ACA conventions is considerable collegial discussion. We're looking for short presentations on provocative topics--ones where the presenter(s) provides an overview and the audience participates.

Information about the conference will be posted to the American Communication Association website as planning continues. Please visit us at Http://www.americancomm.org.

See you in DC!

Todd S. Frobish, PhD
Assistant Professor
Speech Communication Studies
Iona College

715 North Avenue
New Rochelle, NY 10801
(914) 633-2053 (o)
(914) 633-2025 (f)

"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -Arthur C. Clarke, 1998