[Air-l] re: road warriors, study of

Reymers, Kurt reymerke at morrisville.edu
Fri May 31 05:53:40 PDT 2002

I agree with the confusion regarding anomie and the e-road writings; I would
see Mumford or Ellul more problematic when considering community effects of
technically distributed communication.

After thinking about the idea of road warriors, I find a class perspective
might be helpful in engaging in a study of "road warriors."  As Barry has
described them, they are the "travel elite," provided with special lounges,
equipment, entertainment and other resources to make the road more amenable
and to keep a 'lifeline' to the locus of big business, the main office.
These are the latter-day bourgeoisie making their business travel purposeful
through the means of electronic communication and vice-versa - making their
laptops, pda's, etc. purposeful through business travel.

Contrast these road warriors with other occupations that necessitate travel
- the musician and her roadies, the nearly-extinct traditional traveling
salesman (the Willie Loman archetype), the professor traveling to
conferences. None are as glamorous or as benefitted by the niceties
available to the road warrior.  Look too at the very name: "road warrior"
connotes strength, courage, bravery in the face of the grueling opposition
(the harsh realities of the road).  Yet the executive lounge is more like a
spa than a foxhole.  As a once-traveling musician myself, I can speak
empirically of foxholes on the road.  I found that keeping a journal was
helpful in overcoming such difficulties; I would certainly have welcomed an
internet connection, not to mention an executive lounge (quite different
than the 'lounges' a musician on the road might frequent).

Perhaps an interesting study could be done comparing and contrasting road
warriors by their occupation, to differentiate if, how and why these various
classes are tied back to their community by the umbilical cord of the
Internet.

writing from the road,
Kurt Reymers