[Air-l] learning in internet-based networks

hans at fs.is.uni-sb.de hans at fs.is.uni-sb.de
Thu May 2 14:30:29 PDT 2002

Joyce,

there are several frameworks available:
1. Formative (during) / Summative (at the end) evaluation (how can it be
improved?). It is more the evaluation of the tools and the tools' impact. It is
less adequate to determine the learning.
2. Effectiviness evaluation (Where the goals accomplished?) Often this approach
is used to measure the long-term outcome.
3. Impact evaluation (What impact did it have?): this is more combining the
other two approaches

The assessment will also depend on the instructional goals/needs assessment,
your partners have done before.
If this community system is a document delivery system, it will be differently
assessed than if it includes communication tools or case-based or problem-based
scenarios.

Some literature:
Parry, S. 1997. Evaluating the impact of training. American Society for
Training and Development.

Some links:
http://www.e-learningcentre.co.uk/eclipse/Resources/evaluating.htm
http://www.east.asu.edu/elearning/assessment.html
http://www.e-learningcentre.co.uk/

let me know, if you need more specific hints

Johannes

--
Johannes Strobel
PhD student