[Air-l] case studies of mailinglists

Quentin (Gad) Jones qgjones at acm.org
Wed May 22 20:36:34 PDT 2002

geert lovink wrote:

> Dear Air-l,
>
> for my PhD at the University of Melbourne I have recently written a few case
> studies of mailinglist communities. Now I am winding up this project and for
> the introduction and conclusion I would like to refer to a few similar case
> studies, but I can't find all that many of them. Does anyone have a
> suggestion? It could be studies about virtual communities but that's perhaps
> a bit too broad. I am in particularly interested in internal dynamics and
> issues of sustainability. Any reference is most welcome.
>
> BTW. I do like the (new) afterword Howard Rheingold wrote for his Virtual
> Community book which MIT Press reprinted recently. I am not sure how
> welknown this text is. It's a good and honest reassessment of his passions.

My PhD was in this area but by large scale analysis of discourse
dynamics and I was born in Sydney Australia.

A couple of months ago I submitted a paper to Information Systems
Research that compares usenet and listserv sustainablity patterns.

The abstract is given below

The Boundaries of Virtual Communities: