[Air-l] Re: AUP (Acceptable Use Policy)

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue May 21 16:15:47 PDT 2002

the sole problem, from my analysis of the wide variety of aup available
from around the world, is that each governs part, but not all of the
network after a certain point of plurality.  because of this, even
though we can speak of an nsfnet aup, it may have been possible even
that time to use nsfnet without being necessarily bound by that policy
because of interconnections between networks, maybe not even physically,
but functionally, such as a fidonet message passed between two nsfnet
hosts.  so it would have been possible to transmit a forsale message, a
commercial venture, without breaking the aup.  so aup's might be better
understood within a framework of interdependence and in most cases only
applicable in extreme cases.

I would love to here of incidents where breach of nsfnet policy was
prosecuted in any manner.  there has to be some incidents.

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
on the ibook
www.cddc.vt.edu