[Air-l] road warriors and teleworkers

Nicole Ellison nellison at athena.csustan.edu
Sun May 26 13:41:26 PDT 2002

My impression, based on the telework literature I've seen, is that there is
no real consensus among researchers as to definitions of telecommuting or
telework (and hence, the huge disparity in assessments of its
penetration/growth/popularity). Many, myself included, seem to use
"telework" and "mobile work" interchangeably to refer to those who conduct
"work" from multiple places, including their homes, cars, client workspaces,
non-dedicated spaces at their employers, etc. My dissertation studied a
group of network engineers who had no centralized office but rather spent
their time at various client sites (much like Barry's road warriors, only my
subjects had a more limited territory so they drove instead of flew), and I
referred to them as "teleworkers." My impression from Barry's post is that
he uses "telework" to refer primarily to home-based workers (correct me if
I'm wrong). I'm curious as to others' thoughts on this subject.

Additionally, a brief plug: many of the questions Ulla mentioned in her post
will be considered at an NCA panel on telework in New Orleans. We'd love to
see other researchers in this growing area there!

Nicole