[Air-l] What is a discipline - and publishing tips.

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Thu Nov 7 08:26:04 PST 2002

Radhika,

I think feminist studies it is useful to the society in much more
substanative ways, than what women want.  I think that women's studies
have in fact, contributed significantly to the fact that you and I are
on an Academic Internet listserv.  I am merely talking to the
relationship between the "popular culture" and the "academy."  To get
back to the ethics question, I think this is one of those points or
spaces of resistance that must take place in a healthy society.   (I am
not a postmodern theorist so please excuse any errors or unintentional
misguided statements.)

My problem is how do you keep this kind of study from being
marginalized both within and outside of the academy?  I, personally,
sometimes find the content so inaccessible that even I, as a somewhat
sympathetic and reasonably well-educated person easily become lost in
the writing.  My sister-in-law is a scholar in this area and sends me
things all of the time and I invariably have to write her back and ask
her to interpret what she thought I would be wholly sympathetic and
appreciative of.

I think the interest of the broader culture in the internet if far more
conspicous.  Funders can understand this.

Irene Berkowitz
Coordinator for Curricular Publications and Systems
Office of the Vice Provost
Temple University
tel. 215-204-7596  fax. 215-204 3175
berkowitz at mail.temple.edu

>>> radhika at cyberdiva.org 11/07/2002 11:09:38 AM >>>
I too have to rush and I really know what you mean and maybe this is
what you are saying in a different way - ..

just wanted to point out that "feminist theory's" *is* "usefulness"
in the economy - it is made useful when consumed and circulated in a
certain way (and then it's political purpose is diffused and
scattered and less threatening - its made more palatable etc) - I am
talking about a kind of appropriation (which nonetheless *does* -
even if accidentally _ open up spaces...) look at how "gender" issues
and "women's research" is so "hip" to do these days - as long as you
can sell it in a "What women Want" kind of way...

more later,

and Steve - thanks for the chronicle articles .