[Air-l] What is a discipline - and publishing tips.

Anderson, Ben benander at essex.ac.uk
Fri Nov 8 02:34:19 PST 2002

> I think feminist studies it is useful to the society in much more
> substanative ways, than what women want.

when i worked for BT I found 'feminist' studies of technology to be a very
useful resource when trying to shock middle-aged, middle-income (and
predominantly male) research engineers out of their ego centric view of what
real people do with technology, how they value it and what difference it
makes to them. Whilst in a sense this was trying to get them to see 'what
women want' (as a market) it was really an exercise in seeing the world
differently and thus trying to 'engineer innovation'. Cynthia Cockburn and
Judy Wajcman's work was useful here...

I am not sure that this conceptual shock approach worked but that's another
story :-)

> marginalized both within and outside of the academy?  I, personally,
> sometimes find the content so inaccessible that even I, as a somewhat

this is a problem that is not unique to feminist studies...

/B
--
Dr Ben Anderson
www.essex.ac.uk/chimera