[Air-l] weak ties, great good place, & cyberspace

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Tue Nov 12 06:23:20 PST 2002

Concepts such as these may exist in other areas, such as quantum
physics.  See the work of Murray Gell-mann as it whether it might have
relevance for your thought.

Irene Berkowitz
Coordinator for Curricular Publications and Systems
Office of the Vice Provost
Temple University
tel. 215-204-7596  fax. 215-204 3175
berkowitz at mail.temple.edu

>>> sgz01570 at nifty.ne.jp 11/11/2002 6:51:44 PM >>>
Hi everyone,

Does somebody know of publications that apply the notions of weak ties
(Granovetter) and/or third place (Oldenburg) to understand ephemeral
meaningful ties created in and around cyberspace? I began using these
to make sense of forms of sociality observed in communities (both
and offline) I am studying. I read a few papers that make reference to
concepts, But I do not know anything really good. Other than
suggestions for
readings, I appreciate your thoughts on this matter as well.

Whoami> I am a doctoral student of sociology. I am working on a
about uses of the Internet in Japan, I am particularly interested in
the ways
in which everyday people adopt and adapt to the Internet to maintain
personal communities.

Thank you in advance,

Mito Akiyoshi
Department of Sociology