[Air-l] you got mail

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Tue Nov 12 09:26:19 PST 2002

Ulla,
I cited from memory but I am sure about the number.

Now, I looked into the article "Zustelldienst" in the
Handwörterbuch des Postwesens, ed. by Wilhem Küsgen et al., Berlin:
Julius Springer, 1927, pp. 720-724.
The Handwörterbuch was the German Reichspost's official  encyclopedia.
The article gives the legal obligations (Postordnung, § 36) of
 transporting letters, small parcels, etc. to the recipient in the early
1920s: as a rule the schedule is for 2 daily deliveries. However, in
cities with strong traffic 3 daily deliveries may be scheduled, and in
special cases also 4 deliveries. More than 4 deliveries were in no case
not allowed.
The Postordnung rules the everyday actions of the mail delivery.
Therefore, the aforementioned maximum frequencies can be understood as
those really in use. When late in WW II the frequency of delivery in
Berlin was reduced to one per day due to the heavy air raids the public
judged this as an inacceptably low quality of service .
For which work do you need the info ?

Cordialement

Frank

--