[Air-l] you got mail

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue Nov 12 11:54:10 PST 2002

A related note I've seen mentioned but can't remember where (Naomi
Baron, are you here? you must know, it was probably you) is 19th
century London where mail was delivered several times daily.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert Browning apparently carried out
their famed courtship through this mail in a way that parallels
email. Nancy

Cool! Thanks.

I can see myself possibly using the reference in two ways: I've been
looking at email as a genre and some of the norms associated with
emailing. This is a great sidebar to norms of non electronic letters.
Also, I'm working on a movies and technology paper, looking at how
movies reflect our attitudes toward technologies (I'm looking
specifically at the phone, and computers/email over time). I might be
able to drop this anecdote in.

Ulla