[Air-l] Re: Second post in Britain

Louise Ferguson louise.lists at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 14 09:30:18 PST 2002

Well, we still have a second post - in Brighton, too ;-), while in many
part of the Continent, there is not even one post a day for sizeable areas
(I speak with personal knowledge of Spain).

This has had many social knock-on effects. For instance, it has contributed
to the traditional strength of catalogue shopping in the UK (which has I
think contributed to the strength of e-commerce), and the almost complete
absence of catalogue shopping in southern Europe (along with trust and
other issues), and consequent impact on e-commerce. If you can't trust the
post, have no post delivered (and have to drive miles to collect it), and
many things get stolen from the post (as is the experience in Spain), then
you don't do e-commerce. It wold be interesting to compare the relative
volumes of similar good bought over the Net in different countries.

Louise
Brighton, UK