[Air-l] Conference papers online

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Fri Nov 1 10:48:22 PST 2002

I would argue that the practice of making papers available at conferences
varies a great deal, actually. Some conferences that I attend (ICA; AEJMC)
have a room set aside as a "paper distribution center" and people are
expected to deposit multiple copies of their paper there, which are then
actually sold (50 cents each) to interested others. Of course, these
organizations also require full paper submissions for review.

Other conferences/organizations (SCS; Console-ing Passions) do not provide
any expectations of paper distribution, and (perhaps coincidentally) do not
expect full paper submissions- instead abstracts are required.

I would challenge the idea that paper authors are merely "sitting" on their
research--they have probably sent the paper out for peer-review somewhere,
and hope desperately to get it published to share with the scholarly
community.

Finally, not to sound harsh myself, but statements like "it's not that hard
to..." in relation to asking for things for free could also be joined with
an offer to volunteer and help in the creation of such materials. AoIR is a
non-profit organization, and I believe the unpaid executive board works very
hard as it is--

Mia
--
Mia Consalvo, Ph.D.