[Air-l] archive & membership

Unn Kristin Daling unn.daling at hf.ntnu.no
Mon Nov 4 04:39:19 PST 2002

Archive & membership

According to the list-discussion about the conferencepaper archive I just
want to share a couple of comments as a member of a(o)ir.

Often people feel they want to belong to a group of interest, and some take
initiatives to establish an organisation or similar. Others with same
interests get information about this organisation's existence, and about
the others (besides the social-professional community it self) advantages,
and may then apply for a membership.

As an "internet researcher" I found membership in a(o)ir both interesting
(for me personal) and important (for me professional). Among the advantages
is the access to the archive.

I do like the idea of open source and sharing. I also like the idea of
people acting together, in solidarity and/or in common interests. The
a(o)ir is open for everyone who want to share their "internet research" to
this interdisciplinary community, or that just want to be a passive
receiving member. It's up to everyone self. Should it be any questions
about opening membership advantages to non-members? Then the result could
be that no one saw any advantage of membership, the organisation would be
dissolved, as ended the archive discussion. In stead I hope that as many as
possible with interests of internet research do participate in a(o)ir.

Unn Kristin Daling
Centre for technology and society
Department of interdisciplinary studies of culture
N-7491 Trondheim