[Air-l] What is a discipline - and publishing tips.

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Thu Nov 7 06:45:43 PST 2002

At 7:27 AM -0500 11/7/02, radhika gajjala wrote:
>This discussion on disciplinarity has been very interesting so far,
>and I just know its going to feed into a small presentation I have
>to give here at my university tomorrow (entitled "tips on
>publishing" - what do *I* know about that - but if they dont mind
>hearing me, of course I'll talk;-)) . So thanks all (I'll make sure
>to acknowledge "the list").
>
>The problem of inter/cross/trans disciplinarity - when this issue
>becomes a battlefield - in the case of promotion, tenure, getting a
>phd etc in the US (so I am being very US centric and self-centric
>here) is accentuated in relation to publishing.... where you publish
>etc - and some publications in some disciplines dont allow the
>saying and asking of certain types of questions and critiques (again
>I'm simplifying and being extremely polite...) - which is why of
>course those of us who do more than token feminist and cultural
>studies type work (however much I may mumble and grumble about some
>kinds of appropriation of these - these are still some of the only
>academic spaces that even allow  certain kinds of conversations)
>sometimes have an interesting time in relation definitions of
>disciplinarity.
>
>Now with "Internet studies" being "interdisciplinary" however - I
>find less resistance (again depending on the kind of *questions* one
>asks in relation to the Internet...this resistance is less or more)
>- perhaps because the Internet "sells" (in relation to the corporate
>world, I mean) better than critiques coming from various
>counter-mainstream locations?
>
>So when we talk about ethics of inter/trans/cross etc disciplinarity
>in relation to Internet studies - what are we selling?

I'm going to quickly respond to this with two articles from the same
issue of today's Chronicle of Higher Education email digest
(hopefully this won't make this email too long!) that well
illuminate, I think, the complex issues that Radhika brings up, and
that have been discuss in relation to disciplinarity. The issues
therein are rather western, if not only US centric, but the
consequences that publication, disciplinarity, legitimation,
hegemony, etc., have, must be considered both at an institutional
level, which is the one at which I think they have largely been
discussed on air-l, and at the individual level, and that is why I
find these two articles of interest.

Thanks,
Sj