[Air-l] Re: What is a discipline - role of AoIR. (Nancy Baym)

Wendy Robinson wgrobin at uc.edu
Sat Nov 9 14:27:18 PST 2002

Wonderfully considered and lucid post from Nancy.  Concerns us all.  Thank you.

I just joined a new campus and the CIO was asked about this kind of thing
(specifically does Blackboard pedagogical activity "count") at a faculty
open house.  He bypassed the question by saying it was the old issue of
teaching and research and service and the risk of doing work in emerging
areas (implicitly, therefore, the answer was no, a syllabus is a syllabus
is a syllabus, online or off, and doesn't "count" any more than any
syllabus does).  Yes, you're welcomed as new blood, thanks for the
contribution and help with pulling along the late adopters, but expect to
pay your dues like everyone else before you.

So: Is work in Net studies like other emerging areas?  Can we learn from
the battles fought by women's and environmental studies, for instance?  Or
cultural studies?  Are the issues different, perhaps, among other reasons,
because of the corporate-supported IT grants and other soft money not
available to other disciplines (e.g., these being tough times for the
humanities)?  Net-supported research seems to have enjoyed much greater
cross-campus and global support than other areas, even though there are
unlikely to be departments of Internet Studies as Nancy pointed out.  What
we do has seeped through and become mainstream remarkably quickly.

I wanted to keep Nancy's thread alive, but I don't have As to her Qs
either.  I strongly agree that these are concerns we need to address going
forward if the AoIR is to provide practical support to our careers, as well
as to subjectively nourish relationships that are, nonetheless, predicated
on common research and avocational (we aren't all academics on the AoIR
list) interests.

Wendy Robinson                       wgrobin at uc.edu
Asst Prof, Dept of Comm              wgrobin at fuse.net
Univ of Cincinnati                           homepages.uc.edu/~robinswg
620C Teachers College                        tel: 513-556-4468
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0184                    fax: 513-556-0899

At 12:01 PM 11/8/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:18:24 -0600
>To: air-l at aoir.org
>From: Nancy Baym <nbaym at ku.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Air-l] What is a discipline - role of AoIR.
>
>I of course can't help but think about all of this quite specifically
>in terms of the role of AoIR in Internet Studies and what our lofty
>goals should be, and I wanted to pose some of the questions this
>discussion raises for me. I start from the premise that while AoIR
>may be many members' favorite affiliation and conference, we are not
>likely to be conducting academic careers in an institutionally
>recognized department of Internet Studies. So one goal may be to
>provide a form of institutional credibility so that members' work
>will be recognized by tenure and promotion committees that want
>evidence of outside review. This is of course one of the major
>functions of well known academic associations, usually in the form of
>peer review association journals and conferences.

[snip]