[Air-l] weak ties, great good place, & cyberspace

Keith N Hampton knh at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 12 09:25:56 PST 2002

Mito,

Have a look at some of the findings from the Netville study. One of the
key findings was that Internet use facilitated the formation of weak
neighborhood ties and that this had implications for local collective
action. I also have an article, "Place-Based and IT Mediated
'Community'" (Planning Theory & Practice 3(2)), that provides a social
network argument for why ICTs are particularly likely to build weak
neighborhood social ties. In the very near future I should also have a
paper with results from my new "E-Neighbors" study of four Boston
neighborhoods. Some very interesting findings related to Internet use,
social networks, and neighborhoods. In particular a positive
relationship between email use, but a negative relationship for Web
surfing, and network diversity for both neighborhood and personal
networks. You can find the Netville publications and the planning paper
on my website www.mysocialnetwork.net

-Keith

--
Keith N. Hampton, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Technology, Urban and Community Sociology

Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 9-522
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

Email: knh at mit.edu