[Air-l] Medium Theory

Nathan Koenigsfeld nkoenigs at vt.edu
Fri Nov 15 14:38:15 PST 2002

Help

I am currently doing some research regarding Medium Theory which was
originated by Joshua Meyrowitz in his 1985 book No Sense of Place.  I
am looking for information about those whom have engaged this theory in
their research today, whether to critique it or to further advance the
theory.  For those unfamiliar with the theory, it is very McLuhanesque
in nature.  It states that media are simply not channels for conveying
information between two environments, but rather are environments in
and of themselves.  Unlike McLuhan (Technological Determinism), this
theory states that media don't wholly shape culture and society, but
changes in communication patterns are one very important contribution.
Any information or leads into scholars who address Meyrowitz's work
would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Nate Koenigsfeld
Virginia Tech University