[Air-l] Medium Theory

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Mon Nov 18 10:28:06 PST 2002

HI Nathan,

You might want to ask your question on the mediaecology listserv at:
mediaecology at ube.ubalt.edu

Many people in this group do work along these lines.  Meyrowitz's work
is well known among that group (as it McLuhan's) and I believe he is a
member of that group.

Good luck,
IB

Irene Berkowitz
Coordinator for Curricular Publications and Systems
Office of the Vice Provost
Temple University
tel. 215-204-7596  fax. 215-204 3175
berkowitz at mail.temple.edu

>>> qgjones at acm.org 11/17/2002 2:19:08 PM >>>
To some extent this work guided my PhD thesis research.  When I return
from CSCW you can email me and I can send you a copy of the relevant
chapters.

Regards
Quentin

Nathan Koenigsfeld wrote:

> Help
>
> I am currently doing some research regarding Medium Theory which was
> originated by Joshua Meyrowitz in his 1985 book No Sense of Place.
> am looking for information about those whom have engaged this theory
in
> their research today, whether to critique it or to further advance
the
> theory.  For those unfamiliar with the theory, it is very
McLuhanesque
> in nature.  It states that media are simply not channels for
conveying
> information between two environments, but rather are environments in
> and of themselves.  Unlike McLuhan (Technological Determinism), this
> theory states that media don't wholly shape culture and society, but
> changes in communication patterns are one very important
contribution.