[Air-l] Re: Internet History/Stages, was Internet in Everyday Life

david silver dsilver at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 27 15:57:54 PST 2002

thanks to all who have engaged in this interesting thread.  i like frank's
use of hughes' networks of power to think through the stages, as well as
many others (and wouldn't mind hearing more about the net as biological
entity).

personally, i have little interest in defining how many stages there's
been ("there's 5!" "no, 6!" "look, over there, another, that's 7!") but
rather an interest in appreciating that we have witnessed multiple stages,
each defined by various factors (as frank points out) and characterized by
various nuances.

as always, i like michel and rune's posts, which reveal (i think) that
our answers are products in part of the way we frame the question and
define our terms.  the way i frame my questions or, to be more specific,
the way i think about stages, i find it difficult to conflate the very
complex period of time between the 1960s/early 1970s and the dot.com daze
into one stage.  but i'm certainly willing and eager to hear reasons why
we should.

david silver