[Air-l] The History of that "Other" Internet: PLATO

Brian Dear brian at birdrock.com
Wed Nov 27 22:29:52 PST 2002

The current AoIR thread on the history (or histories) of the Internet is
interesting.   I couldn't resist mentioning a project I'm working on that
is at the same time related and unrelated.

I'm writing a book on the history of  "another" internet, one that
developed independently of, and parallel to, the ARPAnet back in the 60s,
70s, and 80s: the PLATO network.  Ironically, it was funded by the same
agencies: ARPA, ONR, NSF.   Incredibly, its actual history, significance,
and massive influence are for all intents and purposes, completely unknown
to most people.

For a while in the 70s, the PLATO network was larger, in terms of number of
actual users, than the ARPAnet.   And during that same while, and arguably
for some time thereafter, PLATO was more advanced than the ARPAnet and
offered capabilities some of which would not appear on the Internet for 10
to 15 more years.   It's as if PLATO was this separate species, developing
in a heretofore unknown geographical region, that catapulted up the
food-chain in a remarkably fast way, only to die out just as remarkably
quickly.   Survival of the fittest, or luckiest?   One question I'm
investigating.

During the 1970s, PLATO developed at a tremendously accelerated pace,
something we would not see until the late 80s, early 90s on the
Internet.   Every day on PLATO, new tools and new applications would
appear: many originated by the PLATO systems staff, but many more by the
user community itself.  PLATO's programming language, called TUTOR, was
designed for people to create computer-assisted instruction lessons, but
the prevailing philosophy on PLATO, one of "anything goes" and "be
flexible, you never know what the needs of the next developer will be" were
such that TUTOR became extremely open-ended and well-documented, enabling
mere mortals to develop all kinds of things the PLATO creators had never
envisioned: games, simulations, multiuser communication and collaboration
tools, text editors, scientific applications, interfaces to all kinds of
different hardware devices, etc.

The result was -- nearly overnight -- a rich, vibrant online community,
remarkably similar to online communities that would pop up everywhere over
the ensuing decades.   The PLATO system, while mainframe-based, was viewed
by its users as a very "personal" computer in the sense of "a tool that
lets you communicate and collaborate with other people".   Sun Microsystems
would grasp the notion (with its "the network is the computer" slogan)
early in the 80s, but this was not a common conception in the 1970s --- to
Apple and Microsoft, for example, "PC" would for many years simply signify
"personal desktop machine to do my number-crunching, document-preparation,
and BASIC programming".

Many who came into contact with PLATO in the 1970s would have their lives
and careers permanently altered by the experience, and by the realization
of what computer networks really implied about the future of daily
life.   PLATO people were in the 1970s already living the always-on,
always-accessible "digital lifestyle" that has only recently become
commonplace.  You didn't "use" PLATO, you "lived" PLATO.   Lotus Notes (a
product designed for office-workers to "live" in all day long) is but one
case of a technology that came about precisely because its inventors, Ray
Ozzie, Tim Halvorsen, and Len Kawell, had previously been exposed to and
immersed in the PLATO system -- and the PLATO Notes application, among
others -- while students at the University of Illinois.

The PLATO culture is a fascinating microcosm of and precursor to today's
Internet, both socially and technically.   Study the PLATO world of the
1970s and you find issues ranging from the Hacker Ethic to free speech and
government censorship; from open-source arguments to security and privacy
concerns; from online collaboration to blog-like multi-user content
management systems; from the evolution of chat and email to the rise of
graphical-smileys and "emoticons"; from message forums on thousands of
subjects, years before Usenet, to the dawn of MUDs and massively
multiplayer games; from multimedia to complex scientific simulations; from
online dating, relationship counseling, romances, and marriages to
stalking, divorces, suicides....  You name it, and it happened on PLATO,
during the same era where Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Steve Case, and Scott
McNeally were still all in high school, and Nixon was still president.

Is all this significant?  Should we care?  Absolutely it's
significant.  Absolutely we should care.

It's my hope that by writing this book on the history of PLATO two things
will happen: 1) a huge gaping hole in the history of the Information Age
will finally be at least a tiny bit "plugged", and 2) we will understand
and appreciate the Internet, the Web, AOL, and Cyber-culture in general in
new and much richer ways.    After all, it turns out that much of what
happened on the Internet already had happened -- a long time ago, in a
cyberspace far, far away.   Why that is so, how that came to be, and why
the Internet "won" and PLATO "lost" are three major questions I hope to
answer in this book.   I welcome your thoughts, questions, and ideas.

- Brian

Brian Dear
PLATO History Project
La Jolla, CA