[Air-l] The History of that "Other" Internet: PLATO

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Thu Nov 28 09:30:24 PST 2002

A personal PLATO sidenote...

I grew up in Urbana, home of PLATO, and in grade school when I was 9
years old (early 1970s) we had several PLATO terminals in our
classroom. I can't remember for the life of me what we DID with it,
but I do remember choosing to stay after school so I could spend more
time on it. I remember a lot of us being into it. (I'd be curious if
those of you working on it can give me clues to what might have
brought a bunch of 9 year olds to it with rapt fascination).

I've kind of wondered in recent years if that early experience set me
up to be interested in the Internet and to help with the creation of
this association...

Happy Thanksgiving all you Americans. Enjoy the day all the rest of
you! Off to roast my turkey...

Nancy
Nancy Baym 	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
102 Bailey Hall, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Association of Internet Researchers: http://aoir.org