[Air-l] Re: Weblogs in education

JASON NOLAN jason.nolan at utoronto.ca
Sun Nov 3 09:15:43 PST 2002

>Message: 10
>From: dca4 at georgetown.edu
>I'm having two of my classes use weblogs this semester. Students in one
>class are keeping journals, writing about anything they desire,
>http://cct723.blogspot.com.  Another class is using them in a more
>structured manner to answer weekly questions,
>http://cct717.blogspot.com, then read each others answers.  Please
>browse, if you have a chance.
>
>Are others using blogs as an educational information sharing or
>creativity device?  Would love to discuss what you are finding. I'm
>getting very mixed reactions from students, especially those asked to
>journal.
>Dorine
>
>Dorine Andrews

I've been using them for a couple of years with grad classes. This
year I have 20 students in a graduate knowledge media design program
blogging, and just finishing up an assignment assessing some of the
major flavours: blogger, Moveable Type, Live Journal and a Twiki (ya,
it's not really a blog, but that's what they're doing with it.)

If anyone's interested in having a look at the assessment assignment,
here it is: http://achieve.utoronto.ca/twiki/bin/view/KMD1000/WebHome
and the ongoing student work is at
http://achieve.utoronto.ca/twiki/bin/view/KMD1000/KmdiGroup and I'll
have their final projects up in a month. This may be of interest to
researchers and educators wondering why they would choose one web log
implimentation over another.

Along with a buddy, I also have 30 undergrads studying writer critics
(Sidney, Dryden, Arnold, Wordsworth & Elliot) who are blogging in
place of major written assignments. Visible at
http://edublog.com/docs/kuin/

My research assistants also use blogs to organize data. Mostly
Moveabletype, because of the category features.

Students always hate to write. It seems. Blogger also seems to be the
hardest for some students due to the design. Not that any of them are
good.

If you want to talk off list email me, or iChat (aka AIM):
complicitytheory, or if there's interest from others, a group chat on
my CVE.

Jason
--
------