[Air-l] RE: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #553 - 6 msgs

Sue Cranmer sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 12:29:54 PST 2002

research methodology - justification internet and lying (SocAdmin)

I think all research, be it 'on' or 'offline' is influenced by how people
wish to present themselves in whatever mode we may use to explore them.
Therefore, issues raised by your critics are to the degree. During the
observational part of my research, I've sat with many a 9-16 year old
watching them present themselves online as the gender opposite to their own,
amongst boys this is often cited as the only way other girls/boys will talk
to them in chatrooms! I think the difference here is that adopting personas
is part of the appeal and is widely sanctioned compared with doing similar
offline.

Sue Cranmer
Research Officer
Institute of Education