[Air-l] discussion on free papers

Panayiotis Zaphiris zaphiri at soi.city.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 02:23:45 PST 2002

hi all,

I am a silent member of this list .. but extremely happy with the topics
being discussed (I read almost every single post :)

My two cents on this: I think a community that is so interested on
internet research and the dissemination of knowledge and info online
should make it a policy to provide all its proceedings online for free
(open source/documents).

I got the impression  from the e-mails circulated on the list about the
conferences (a never attended any due to other responsibilities) that
there is much more to gain by attending than getting a copy of the
proceedings.  So logically making the proceeding available online will
hopefully not dicrease the interest in the conference (and thus the
membership of the org) but instead it will (i think and hope) create a
better awareness of our existence and encourage others to join (that is
how i did join - by finding a paper online making reference to this org).

I understand that it might not be possible to put this years'
proceedings online for free (for whatever copyright etc complications)..
but i think it is an issue to consider and make mandotary in the future ?

Panayiotis