[Air-l] online publication of papers

Tom Hope teh102 at york.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 08:37:23 PST 2002

Hi everyone

I've only just joined the list and wasn't sure if 'intros' were appropriate, but the discussion has taken my interest.  Like Denise, part of my own PhD (I'm in the final year... er.. getting to 'writing up') is an online ethnography.

In both courses that I teach, I also make extensive use of online journals, and encourage my students to do the same.  Other members of staff here have gone with the 'dubious' quality argument for online material, a fact which, in my opinion, doesn't help the students ability to associate the topics with their own lives, and contributes to the devaluing of that format.

There is definitely an argument for more established academics to allow their conference papers to be published, if only to open the way for a better judgement of online academic material.  Researches of online environments should surely be the first to support this.

Regards,

Tom

---

Tom Hope