[Air-l] online publication of papers

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Nov 1 08:43:59 PST 2002

i don't think very many people are against the publishing of conference
papers online or offline in journals, books, whatever, but I think we
are against having a situation that precludes that.  Publication is for
the author to decide, and sometimes publishing an article online in an
online proceedings that is publicly available will preclude publishing
it elsewhere.   and i think it is quite apparent that online
publications are cited more, but the archives for members are not
publications and most of the articles should not be cited without
authors permission, in fact none of those articles are in any way
published by aoir when they sit in that archive, they are just shared
as occasionally shares a preprint of an article among friends and
colleagues.

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 11:37 AM, Tom Hope wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I've only just joined the list and wasn't sure if 'intros' were
> appropriate, but the discussion has taken my interest.  Like Denise,
> part of my own PhD (I'm in the final year... er.. getting to 'writing
> up') is an online ethnography.
>
> In both courses that I teach, I also make extensive use of online
> journals, and encourage my students to do the same.  Other members of
> staff here have gone with the 'dubious' quality argument for online
> material, a fact which, in my opinion, doesn't help the students
> ability to associate the topics with their own lives, and contributes
> to the devaluing of that format.
>
> There is definitely an argument for more established academics to
> allow their conference papers to be published, if only to open the way
> for a better judgement of online academic material.  Researches of
> online environments should surely be the first to support this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom
>
> ---
>
> Tom Hope