[Air-l] Re: Archive and membership

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue Nov 5 08:05:19 PST 2002

Charlie Hendricksen wrote:

>     Paying members of AoIR are unlikely to do their research near the
>boundaries of the discipline of Internet Research.  They represent the
>mainstream.

I question this characterization of paying members. My experience
from talking to people at our conferences and throughout the
formation and growth of this association has been that members:

feel marginalized within their institutional disciplines because of
their interest in the internet

think that their particular angle on internet studies -- be it
literary, economic, artistic, you name it -- is not adequately
represented within aoir

also do research that is not just about the internet and which is
more closely aligned with our more traditional disciplines, and we
also have to think about framing the net research that we do in ways
that speak to those disciplines.

In short, I think this association works because we are all at
boundaries, the field of internet research is comprised of
intersecting boundaries. Though there may be some strong themes that
characterize contemporary net research, I don't think there is a
"mainstream" nor even a "discipline."

Nancy
Nancy Baym 	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
102 Bailey Hall, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Association of Internet Researchers: http://aoir.org