[Air-l] What is a discipline.

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Tue Nov 5 13:43:17 PST 2002

I guess I should've also noted that the contestable nature of the term in
question is hardly a reason not to seek definition*s* of it. Just a reason to
recognize that those definitions are *for* someone and for some purpose. I.e.,
all proposed definitions should be read as possessing the following preface,
whether explicitly or not: "For the purposes of [doing X], person(s) Y define an
'academic discipline' as ...."
--Christian Nelson

Christian Nelson wrote:

> Irene Berkowitz wrote:
>
> > I am searching for an operational definition of the concept/construct of
> > "academic discipline."
>
> I think it's important to note at the start of this discussion that there
> isn't any one operational definition available at least for such socially
> significant terms as "academic discipline." Because terms are pragmatic
> entities, and the definition of this term will have profound effects for
> e.g., those seeking to achieve or to deny others the achievement of
> disciplinary status, the definition of this term (like, e.g., the definition
> of science) is going to be hotlly debated.
> --Christian Nelson

NetscapeCommunicator4.73Win3220000502