[Air-l] Instant Messenger

Amanda Lenhart alenhart at pewinternet.org
Tue Nov 12 13:46:36 PST 2002

Mark, I've just done a recent survey of some of the literature on IM.
A great starting point is Nina Wakeford and Nalini Kotamraju's web site on
Mobile Phone, SMS and Instant messaging research at
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~nalinik/mobile.html

Otherwise, here's excerpts from my current reading list on Instant messaging:

Grinter, Rebecca E. and Eldridge, Margery A. "y do tngrs luv 2 txt msg?" in
W. Prinz, M. Jarke, Y. Rogers, K. Schmidt and V. Wulf (eds.): Proceedings
of the Seventh European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work
(ECSCW '01), Bonn, Germany. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic
Publishers, (2001) pp. 219-238.
http://www2.parc.com/csl/members/grinter/ecscw.pdf

Grinter, Rebecca E., and Palen, Leysia. (2002) "Instant Messaging in Teen
Life." In Proceedings from Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative
Work 2002. New York: ACM Publishers.

Herbsleb, James D., et al. (2002) "Introducing Instant Messaging and Chat
in the Workplace." ACM, CHI 2002, Minneapolis, MN. pp 171-178. Available
from
http://www.crew.umich.edu/Technical%20reports/Herbsleb_Atkins_Boyer_Handel_Finholt_Introducing_instant_messaging_12_10_01.pdf

Leung, Louis. (2001) 'College Student Motives for Chatting on ICQ," New
Media and Society, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. (2001) pp. 483-500.

Leung, Louis. (2002) "Loneliness, Self-Disclosure and ICQ ('I Seek You')
Use," Cyber Psychology & Behavior, vol. 5, no 3, pp. 241-251.

Nardi, B. A., Whittaker, S. & Bradner, E. (2000) "Interaction and
Outeraction: Instant messaging in action." In Proceedings of the ACM
Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work. New York, ACM Press, pp.
79-88. http://www.research.att.com/~stevew/outeraction_cscw2000.pdf

Quinn, Amy, et al. "Teenage Communications in the Instant Messaging Era."
Paper submitted to CHI 2003 Conference on Human Factors in Computing
Systems, scheduled for April 2003. Currently Unpublished--
{try contacting Amy or Carnegie Mellon's Human Computer Interaction group
for a copy of this one...}

Reynolds, Holly Lynn. (2002) IM What I Am: Teen Talk and Gender Identity in
Online Instant Messaging. MA thesis, Georgetown University.

Rheingold, Howard. (2002) Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution:
Transforming Cultures and Communities in the Age of Instant Access, Perseus
Publishing, Cambridge, MA.
{more about SMS, but interesting none the less}

Schiano, Diane J. et al. (2002) "Teen Use of Messaging Media." Human
Factors in Computing Systems: CHI 2002. Extended Abstracts. NY: ACM.
http://hci.stanford.edu/cs377/nardi-schiano/CHI2002.Schiano.pdf

Good luck with your research!

Best,

Amanda Lenhart