[Air-l] studying discplines

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 6 14:16:57 PST 2002

To my pre-postmodern mind, the study of disciplines is heavily informed by
the sociology of professions. Of which there is a sizeable theoretical and
research literature . (For example, Merrijoy Kelner and Beverly Wellman
are studying the professionalization of complementary and alternative
medicine.) The work that most people I know in this area start from is:

Abbott, Andrew. 1988. The System of Professions: An Essay on the Division
of Expert Labor. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Enjoy,
 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman