[Air-l] What is a discipline - and publishing tips.

radhika gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Thu Nov 7 04:27:01 PST 2002

This discussion on disciplinarity has been very interesting so far, and I
just know its going to feed into a small presentation I have to give here
at my university tomorrow (entitled "tips on publishing" - what do *I* know
about that - but if they dont mind hearing me, of course I'll talk;-)) . So
thanks all (I'll make sure to acknowledge "the list").

The problem of inter/cross/trans disciplinarity - when this issue becomes a
battlefield - in the case of promotion, tenure, getting a phd etc in the US
(so I am being very US centric and self-centric here) is accentuated in
relation to publishing.... where you publish etc - and some publications in
some disciplines dont allow the saying and asking of certain types of
questions and critiques (again I'm simplifying and being extremely
polite...) - which is why of course those of us who do more than token
feminist and cultural studies type work (however much I may mumble and
grumble about some kinds of appropriation of these - these are still some
of the only academic spaces that even allow  certain kinds of
conversations) sometimes have an interesting time in relation definitions
of disciplinarity.

Now with "Internet studies" being "interdisciplinary" however - I find less
resistance (again depending on the kind of *questions* one asks in relation
to the Internet...this resistance is less or more) - perhaps because the
Internet "sells" (in relation to the corporate world, I mean) better than
critiques coming from various counter-mainstream locations?

So when we talk about ethics of inter/trans/cross etc disciplinarity in
relation to Internet studies - what are we selling?

Radhika Gajjala