[Air-l] research methodology - justification internet and lying

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Fri Nov 22 13:57:49 PST 2002

Just a quick addendum to Annette's excellent (as usual) suggestions...
She's absolutely right, from my perspective, regarding the value and quality
of the Mann and Stewart volume - especially the chapter on ethics.
In addition to everything else that has been said (including in the aoir
ethics report), I'd wonder if the following might also be helpful.
I've suggested a version of the Golden Rule (yes, I know, it's been
criticized - the reference is in the aoir ethics report - but I think that
criticism can be countered) that runs as follows:

"Never treat a person who participates in research in a way you would not be
comfortable explaining to that person face to face" and
"before you decide on how to conduct your research, ask yourself: If I was
the person who take part in research, how would I like to be treated?"

To get to this in a slightly different way: if
(a) there is a good probability of benefits emerging from your research, and
(b) whatever risks might result from your lies accruing to the participants
would be small,
- would your situation be analogous to
the sorts of lies we tell people (e.g., because we may be required to by
reason of confidentiality (very serious) to the more pedestrian sorts of
white lies (keeping a surprise for a birthday party, etc.) that, while
uncomfortable at the time, are lies that, once revealed, they agree are
justified (on grounds of beneficence, etc.)?
If so, then perhaps such lies are ethically justifiable.

Hope this helps - and cheers!

Charles Ess
Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Center
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23