[Air-l] Re: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #560 -Internet History/Stages

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 26 12:32:41 PST 2002

I suspect the time span and the phases depend on the "definition of
Internet". If we think of it stricto sensu, that is IP based
communications, there is one story. If we use the name in a more
generic sense, as David Silver seems to be inclined to, we can go back
to earlier attempts at wide, if not global, compunications, including
Bitnet, Fidonet, Earnet, etc. etc. and many private/local endeavours
in the academic and research as well as in the business worlds.
It also depends what one wants to do with this chronology. If it is to
understand the evolution of social transformation one may even look to
look farther back. After all car traffic and retail are still
following paths of old hippomobile traction.
Michel