[Air-l] Re: Internet History/Stages, was Internet in Everyday Life (Frank Thomas)

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Tue Nov 26 13:06:05 PST 2002

   Maria,
I am somewhat uneasy to call something like a technoinfrastructure an
"actor". For me, an actor is someONE you has the capacity and the will
to act. Artefacts can not act by themselves but have inbuilt rules. The
question for me then is: who built which rules in the artefact, who was
ecluded in using it, which are the "costs"=efforts to use it, who covers
for the cost, etc. So, in any case, the artefact is a socially
constructing being, not an actor by itself.
Of course, artefacts shape the opportunity and constraints structure of
humans (and organisations)  that use them. But this is not the result of
an independent will. This is the result of social decisions about the
use (or non-use) of specific material characteristics.

Also, I would add to your list economic factors, for instance business
models, user tariffs etc. and operational guidelines. The latter is
often not considered in sociological discussions of the construction and
use of an artefact but it may become the most important part of it as
the rules decide how to use the artefact. And, of course, there
sometimes is a nice struglle about the rules. Think of the French
telecom engineers who conceived the minitel as a centra server model and
who were surprised that users linked terminals not to the  server for
database retrieval but to link through to communicate with other end
terminal users. This was the birthday of the messager services on
minitel which had their strongest use when someone invented minitel rose
(I guess you have to translate "someone" into: male, below 30 years,
single, trained in science or engineering, ...)   . So, the fellow
enginners were strongly against this morally incorrect use of a marvel
of communication technology. I don't know who made the decision to allow
messenger services even when they transported porn, I guess, no
prejudice, this must have been people from the finance department. Look
into the works of Volker Schneider and his comparison with the British
videotext and the German Btx services (together with Graham Thomas and
Thierry Vedel).

Did you integrate the videotext services as a precursor in your
description ?

Cordialement
Frank