[Air-l] History of the Internet

Maren Hartmann Maren.Hartmann at vub.ac.be
Tue Nov 26 14:56:26 PST 2002

In response to the recent - and interesting - postings about the history of the Internet, I'm arguing in my research that it is at least partly a history of Internet research and theorisation rather than of any 'Internet' as such. And yes, there therefore seems to be both - a) a change somewhere in the late 1990s (but not necessairly related to the dot.com crash only), which in terms of theorisation at least has been called first and second generation research and b) the (potential) diversity of developments and their interpretations that were mentioned in the earlier post by Frank.

Maren