[Air-l] eCitizens Numbers - Research request, e-democracy abstracts link

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Wed Nov 27 10:36:50 PST 2002

I recall at the AOIR conference in Minneapolis a handful of
presentations with juicy numbers about citizen perspectives on the
use of the Internet in community/government/politics.  If this rings
a bell from that conference, your recent conference in the
Netherlands, or any of your work, drop me a copy of anything
appropriate:

    clift at publicus.net

Below is a more specific list of questions that I am rushing to
answer. I should note that I am an "e-democracy" practitioner who
likes to build bridges between academics and e-democracy builders
around the world.  Keep me informed and I'll credit your work if I
use it in one of my many speeches (hundreds across 25 countries thus
far).

Also, I released a compilation of abstracts from the APSA
conference on DO-WIRE yesterday:

     http://www.mail-archive.com/do-wire@tc.umn.edu/msg00574.html

I am looking for more abstract sources as well.

eCitizen Numbers

Next week I'll make a presentation to a foundation(s) titled the "Eye
on the eCitizen."  I am currently scouring the net and my contacts
for the following things (expanded from my do-wire note linked
above):

 - general statistics that illustrate that citizens become engaged
   when they "think it matters" or when they "think it will influence
the
   outcome"

 - general breakdown/population estimates of the types of citizens -
   such my own framework:
     + active citizens (vote always, active in governance/community)
     + informed citizens (follow the news, vote mostly)
     + passive citizens (sometimes vote, avoid political news)
     + disengaged citizens (rarely vote, news? what's that)

 - what people do online in general - time spent doing X, visiting Y

 - any studies about user habits in their e-mail boxes versus web
   surfing

 - usages trends related to political/media/government sites

 - what people say they want in terms of political/governance
   information and services online and how they actually use such
   information/services currently and related trends

 - any numbers demonstrating a change in page views following
   usability improvements on government/political/media web sites

 - any numbers that help create a baseline related to e-democracy

 - any online usage trends related to the recent elections anywhere

My goal is to help layout a framework for strategic involvement in
e-democracy.  Based on what we know, what can we do between elections
with
online tools and political/community involvement and what
opportunities
might exist in future elections.  That is my goal.

Anything related to above would be most helpful:

    clift at publicus.net

Thanks,
Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net