[Air-l] discussion on free papers

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Nov 1 04:17:12 PST 2002

i fully support free paper distribution, i even have a server at cddc
dedicated to eprints that anyone can use to distribute electronic
prints, aoir members and non members alike. but free and open
distribution must be the decision of the individual not an obligation
put on them because they participate in an  organization or attend a
conference.  i'm not into removing people's freedom to provide free
papers.  i'm not even into having an organization provide free papers
if that organization relies on the good will of its members to provide
those papers without the organization returning something to those
members in kind.  so i don't support making papers and proceedings
available to the world,  i don't think we've ever said we would, and i
don't think it is a good idea institutionally to take over those rights
and duties involved with intellectual ownership and electronic
distribution, though it is a great idea for people to do it
individually, as many members do already.

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
on the ibook
www.cddc.vt.edu