[Air-l] What is a discipline.

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 18:21:45 PST 2002

Good post, Matt!  Maybe I can quote you in my thesis?

I am researching this right now and I don't have a
great deal to say on it at the moment, BUT, here's
something helpful to read:
Michael Peters, (Ed) 1999. After the disciplines.

Sorry I don't have the full cite as haven't got the
Ennotes file open here. This book helped me a great
deal to understand the tensions/opportunities even
though it is written re: cultural studies.

Internet studies will continue to have 'border
disputes' with cultural studies, new media studies,
and most recently, cyberculture studies.  I had
started a paper on how to distinguish cyberspace from
the WWW., and luckily Phil Agre showed up in Coffs
Harbour for Ausweb 2K1 and told me to drop it. And I
did. So I don't know what to say about cyberculture
studies.

Timothy Luke, who writes in the above book, has a key
chapter from the view point of political economy,
slightly different from what Matt is saying, what is
produced? and who benefits? type of discussion which
was also helpful to me.

Hope to meet up with a few AoIR's in Milwaukee at the
Society for Social Studies of Science, esp. Anne and
Paul Wouters if you are reading this!  See you soon!

Denise

=====
"it's easier to use your mouse than your brain"
Denise Rall, Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator &
PhD student, School of Education, Southern Cross University,
PO Box 157, Lismore, NSW, 2480 Australia
Phone +61-2-6624-8627 Fax +61-2-6624-8637
Office (Tuesdays) (02) 6620 3577 Mob 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/edu/research/deniserall/index.html