[Air-l] What is a discipline.

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Nov 5 20:28:33 PST 2002

it might be interesting to put forth some positions here on a variety
of topics.

we have by my reckoning within the last year in various places some
assertions that internet studies or internet research is:
a discipline
an interdiscipline
a transdiscipline
a postdiscipline

(warning sts rant ensues)

i'm pretty sure it is some of the last 3, primarily because of certain
overlaps, but i a certain that it isn't the first, but i'm hoping it
never becomes that centralized.  so what are these categories, if
anything,...?  well it very much depends on your own personal context.
for me, they are primarily terms of analysis, i look at say the
disciplinisation of the social sciences, communication studies and
other 'special sciences' within a historic framework that depends very
much on a highly contingent set of historical facts, such as the
reaffirmation of social science post wwiii, etc. etc. etc.  you can't
have a discipline for me without this set of historical contexts, but
what has to happen for a discipline to really occur is the
decontextualization, the dehistorization of the research in the field
at a certain level, a transformation of the field from a subject of
study to an object of study, and with that objectification, you usually
have a tendency for the rise of predominant methodologies or minimally
a set of methods that are accepted as 'scientific', even if they only
are manifestations of the fetish of objective science, or scientism.
now, for me, what this means is that as internet studies advances,
while there will be a tendency to say unify in one sense the tendency
to pluralize should help us overcome this, i think this is in part due
to the transdisciplinary subject, which in the guattarian sense has a
globality that transcends disciplines, making any method or approach
meager before it, except as a  way of adding to the body of knowledge,
as an interdiscipline, which we also surely are, we are a whole that is
greater than the parts, each person bringing their own disciplinary
perspective to the knowledge game, and as a post discipline, well. that
is all there really is in the profit driven academia of the future
perhaps, and i think there are tendencies to put our research to such
applications.  nonetheless, as the peripheries become the core in
things like internet studies, i prefer to follow the mantra of
plurality, interdisciplinarity, within a deeply contextual
understanding of the histories and technologies involved, including
their inherent subjectivity in relation to us, for many of us aren't
only researching the internet through our actions we are actively
creating it on many different levels

now it is bedtime, rant time is over;)

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu