[Air-l] Perceived Interactivity

Sally J. McMillan sjmcmill at utk.edu
Fri Nov 8 04:43:52 PST 2002

Julie (and the list),

Forgive a relatively self-serving post.  This is a topic I've been
interested in since about 1997.  I've done several pieces of research that
are all focused on trying to understand what interactivity "is."  In recent
years, I've found myself focusing a lot on the notion of perceived
interactivity.  I think this is central.  My research suggests that
interactivity IS in the eye of the beholder.  Here's a brief bibliography.
Let me know if you need copies of any of these pieces.

Primary Focus on Types of Interaction

McMillan, S.J. (2002).  Exploring Models of Interactivity from Multiple
Research Traditions: Users, Documents, And Systems.  In L. Lievrouw and S.
Livingston (Eds.), Handbook of New Media (pp. 162-182).  London:  Sage.

Primary Focus on Perceived Interactivity

McMillan, S.J. and Hwang, J.S. (2002).  Measures of Perceived Interactivity:
An Exploration of the Role of Direction of Communication, User Control, and
Time in Shaping Perceptions of Interactivity. Journal of Advertising, 31(3),
41-54.

Comparison of Types of Interaction and Perceived Interactivity

McMillan, S.J. (2002).  A Four-Part Model of Cyber-Interactivity:  Some
Cyber-Places are More Interactive Than Others.  New Media and Society, 4(2),
271-291.

McMillan, S. J. (2000). Interactivity Is in the Eye of the Beholder:
Function, Perception, Involvement, and Attitude toward the Web Site. In M.
A. Shaver (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2000 Conference of the American Academy
of Advertising (pp. 71-78). East Lansing, MI:  Michigan State University.

McMillan, S. J. (2000, August). What Is Interactivity and What Does It Do?
Paper presented at the Association of Education in Journalism and Mass
Communication Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
Primary Focus on Outcomes

McMillan, S.J., Hwang, J.S., and Lee, G. (2002, August) The Message and the
Mindset:  Effects of Structural and Perceptual Factors on Attitude toward
the Web Site.  Paper presented at the Association for Education in
Journalism and Mass Communication, Miami, FL.

Hwang, J.S., McMillan, S.J. (2002). The Role of Interactivity and
Involvement in Attitude toward the Web Site.  In A. Abernathy (Ed.)
Proceedings of the 2002 Conference of the American Academy of Advertising,
Auburn, AL:  Auburn University.

Early Definitional Work

McMillan, S. J., & Downes, E. J. (2000). Defining Interactivity:  A
Qualitative Identification of Key Dimensions. New Media and Society, 2(2),
157-179.

McMillan, S. J. (1999). Advertising Age and Interactivity:  Tracing Media
Evolution through the Advertising Trade Press. In M. Roberts (Ed.),
Proceedings of the 1999 Conference of the American Academy of Advertising
(pp. 107-114). Gainesville, FL: University of Florida.

McMillan, S. J., & Downes, E. J. (1998, August). Interactivity: A
Qualitative Exploration of Definitions and Models. Paper presented at the
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Conference,
Baltimore, MD.

Sally J. McMillan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Advertising
sjmcmill at utk.edu