[Air-l] What is a discipline - and publishing tips.

radhika gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Fri Nov 8 06:22:59 PST 2002

those articles are certainly useful and timely.

but a clarification in relation to all the stuff I've been saying about
inter...etc.. disciplinarity - the problem is not "peer reviewing" of
research (again who *counts* as a "peer") but the fact that some journals
emphasized as top tier within certain disciplines dont even allow the
insertion of certain kinds of questions (thus while claiming that their
process is "objective" it is very political ) - so people who tend to do
ask these questions find other - peer reviewed - publication venues but get
named as "interdisciplinary" in a negative manner ...

(just for the record, though, I personally havent faced major problems in
this regard - I just try and find publishing venues that allow my questions
and this has not so far been a major issue - but that may be because of
reasons other than issues of "disciplinarity" as a problem for tenure and
promotion - or maybe I am speaking too soon!)